Sunday, September 24, 2006

My Malian Family

I'm back in Tubaniso now...today was my last day in Banankoro. I actually cried as we drove away and I watched my family standing behind the car waving at me. Over the past two months, I've developed a strong connection to my family. My older mom, Wulematu, gave me about five pounds of peanuts and two cucumbers before I left. She was a bit nutty -- she laughed often and danced and sang constantly. She was fluent in French and Bambara, although I struggled to understand her French. But she was always very patient with me, and would just laugh when I didn't understand her.

(Wulematu pounding millet to create toh (a greenish-pasty food that they eat every day...tastes pretty much like dirt) ) My closest sisters, Fatumata and Aminata, stayed with me until I drove away. Aminata is the sister whom I grew closest to -- although she's only 13! I never before would've guessed that I'd have so much in common with a 13-year-old. But she is extremely mature beyond her years, and is one of the hardest workers that I've ever known. Fatumata is 17, although for the first month I was convinced she was older than me. She has a 5-month-old baby named Suri, who is adorable (and thankfully healthy).

(A family friend, Aminata and me)

(Djeneba #2 -- whom I was named after)

(Suri and me...my family loved that fact that he was so afraid of my white skin. They thought it was hilarious for me to hold him and made me do it often...)
My father, Abdulai Samake, was pensive but always happy. He didn't speak French, so I didn't get to talk to him too much. He and my other mom, Nyenemba, would shower me with benedictions every morning, afternoon and evening. He would light up anytime I came home from the market with apples for the family. My youngest sister, Salimata, was an absolute doll. Whenever she'd see me, she'd repeatedly say "Djeneba! Djeneba!"and tilt her head to one side and smile up at me. She would climb onto my lap and shrug her shoulders, looking as cute as possible. I took quite a few photos of her (it helped that she LOVED the camera -- she'd always say "Djeneba, photo!" and I could never resist). I'll hopefully post them soon! (Salimata)
I never thought I'd meet a group of siblings who looked more alike than my family -- but I've met them! I still couldn't tell some of my sisters apart -- even after two months! All my brothers and sisters are absolutely gorgeous, and they all are completely selfless and kind. They all have a wonderful glow about them, which hopefully has rubbed off on me some! Since I'm not living with a family in Segou (my landlords live in my concession, but I'm not a part of their family), I will be taking my Banankoro family name with me. So for the next two years I will be Djeneba Samake. And I am proud to say so!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your family sounds absolutely wonderful! I am so happy to hear how welcoming they were to you. I'm sure their glow has rubbed off too, except that you had that glow to begin with!

I need to write again soon - I promise I will!!!! I enjoy telling Leslie and Michael about your adventures. Leslie especially thinks it's really cool so I can hardly wait to show her photos when you have a chance to upload them.

Love, Cindy

Anonymous said...

How awesome! How could your family not love you as well! I cannot wait to see the pictures. I'm trying to translate some of your words that you throw in - ha ha. I am so excited for you - I check your site all the time just so I can live vicariously through you and your adventures. I can just picture you snorting when you don't understand and start giggling 8>) Just think of all the stories you will have for the rest of your life to pass on to your children... You are making such a difference in all the lives that you touch! I'm saying my prayers for you. Love, Mama Ruth

Anonymous said...

Some more random things about my family here:

- I have seen more topless women in the past two months than I have in my whole life. It's culturally taboo to show your legs above mid-calf, but somehow being topless is A-OK.
- I had a little brother (about 7 yrs old) who wore the same tshirt everyday (not uncommon in Mali). His shirt had a sash imprinted on it with the words "Miss Princess" written diagonally across it. I don't think he knew what it said.
- My nephew Suri forgot who I was while I was away at site visit. So when I came back to Banankoro, he was deathly afraid of me (I think because of my skin color). My family's favorite pasttime quickly became throwing him into my arms and watching him freak out and cry. He eventually got used to me again, but I'm sure the next time I visit he won't recognize me, and the games will begin again!

Thanks for all your comments...I love reading them!

-Kathy- :-)