Monday, September 11, 2006

Storm

I woke up to the sound of my tin door creaking open, then slapping itself against my mud hut. The trees shivered in the wind, and for the first time since I came here, I shivered too. It was still dark, but I heard my mother and sisters outside preparing for the coming storm. Using my recently acquired wisdom about Africa, I deduced that it must be about 5 a.m. I checked my watch to verify -- it was only midnight. My room lit up with the approaching lightning. The wind picked up again, and my door continued to slap my small hut awake. I resolved to wake up completely, undo my mosquito net, tiptoe around my lantern, suitcases and other items spread across my floor to my door. I wedged my metal door shut and reclosed the screen door. The only sound left was the wind through the trees (my family had finally gone to bed). The wind was rather peaceful, and I prayed that it would soothe me to sleep before the rains began. Lightning. Then thunder. Then lightning. Then thunder -- this time louder. I got up once more, undid my mosquito net, and draped a pagne over my net to prepare for the rain (somehow the rain always finds a route through my roof and onto my face). I tried to quickly fall asleep before the rain began, but the harder I tried, the more awake I became. Then the rain began to gently tap on my tin roof. I closed my eyes -- it was loud, but not unbearable. The tapping became a steady drumroll; the drumroll quickly became pounding. The storm, in an angry rage, had stumbled into my concession and began thrashing about -- waking us up by pounding on our roofs, killing the night with its lightning, shouting at us with its thunder. It tried with all its strength to break into our modest tin-roofed huts where we unsuccessfully tried to sleep. My leaky roof, mosquito net and pagne did surprisingly well. They held their own against the giant bully of a storm. This, however, did nothing to help me fall asleep. The storm's tantrum lasted three hours before it sauntered toward another village. For three hours, I listened to its tantrum. Finally, I slept.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - did you think to take ear plugs? They might have helped. I'm glad your recently acquired wisdom assisted you with the time of night - ha ha. Glad you made it through your first major storm - you can always sleep another time, right. I'm enjoying reading about your adventures. Our prayers are with you. Mama Ruth

Anonymous said...

Sounds really wild! What adventure to live through. I miss you! Allison.

Anonymous said...

Very cool description of the storm, Kathy! I wish that I could have been there - I love thunderstorms.

Earplugs....great idea! Do you need any?

Leslie and I received your letters 2 days ago - THANKS! Leslie was very excited to receive a special one for her alone - thank you for doing that - it was so thoughtful.

We'll be writing again soon! Take care.

Love, Cindy

Kristy said...

You will probably miss those dramatic storms when you return to boring Seattle drizzle (although maybe not in the middle of the night). Hey, did you get my package yet? It should have arrived a week ago or so. Let me know if/when you receive it. Take care...

jewels said...

At least you didn't have to sleep outside, then you might have been struck by lightning, and developed some weird strange powers that help you understand what women really want... WHAT DO THEY WANT?! lol

Sound fun, you are a fabulous writer!

love,
corkscrewdriver

Anonymous said...

How cool! That must have been crazy to go through!!! Anything you need Kat?