Saturday, November 18, 2006

Random Things about Mali

I haven't written in a while, so I thought I'd write some random things about my life here in Mali that have been collecting in my memory bank for the past four months. Hope this paints an even better picture of Mali for all of you! I'll write more next week about Thanksgiving (yes, us Americans are celebrating it over here -- we're even getting a Turkey!! Yahoo!). And to all of you -- HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Eat extra pumpkin pie for me! * Outstide of my friend Yuri's apartment, there are about 10 albino rabbits. Yes, rabbits -- the big kind (like Easter bunnies, except they have glowing red eyes...kinda creepy!). I didn't know rabbits lived in W. Africa, but I guess they do. When I asked a neighbor girl about them, all I could get out of her was that I could buy one if I wanted. * I found out that my homologue (Madame Coumare) and the family that lives below me have been wanting me to impose more. In Mali, it's considered rude if you don't go into people's houses uninvited (especially coworkers' houses) and demand to be fed and what not. They love showing their hospitality here. And the American definition of imposing and wearing out your welcome is their definition of showing that you like them. So now I've been going over to Madame Coumare's house for lunch and to just hang out, watch tv (cheesy Spanish soap operas dubbed in French), etc. * In Segou, you can buy a treat called "nonos." It's a little plastic baggie full of frozen yogurty-type substance. It's delicious. And since one scoop of ice cream at the Djoliba hotel costs 750cfa (approx. $1.50) and one baggie of nonos costs 100cfa (approx. $.20), the nonos is about the best treat I can afford. You bite off a corner of the baggie and eat it straight. Sometimes I bike home and, before it melts too much in the Africa sun, I put it in a bowl and cut up bananas or guavas onto it. A KA DI, kosobe kosobe!!! (Bambara for "it's delicious!") * Everyone you meet in Mali asks your name, and then your last name. If you're last name is one of their "joking cousins," then you have to get into it with them for at least five minutes. I can't really explain the joking cousins concept -- just that there are certain families who joke with eachother. It's kind of a cross between sports team rivalries and "yo mama" jokes in the U.S. It's all in good fun, though, but people get pretty into it. For example, my name is Djeneba Samake. If I meet anyone with the last name Coulibaly -- regardless if it's a 90-year-old woman or a 12-year-old boy, I have to say that Coulibalys are horrible, no good, etc. And they say the same about Samakes. They often will say that Samakes are their slaves, or that they eat beans (implying that they fart a lot -- very taboo over here!), or that they're donkeys. It gets very tiring when EVERY single person goes through this with you on a daily basis. But they never get tired of the same jokes. And after we rag on eachother for a while, we shake hands and laugh about it. Well, that's about it on the random things. Oh, last night I was watching the sunset over the Niger from my friend's roof, and a bird pooed on my head. Fun stuff. That's Africa -- you never know what'll happen next!! Haha!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! Well, you know when you get home that you definitely WON'T be wearing out your welcome if you decide to stay with us for awhile.

I've had a bird poop on my head too, so you're not alone!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

Love, Cindy

Anonymous said...

Hi Kath! I love getting your stories, I alwasys share them with Louie and he just laughs and always know what you're talking about. It's pretty fun to hear about all of the cultureal differences . . . please share more, ok?

Love Di

Oh~ Louie said that the rabbit tastes so good, that is one of the thing that he misses the most. So have you tried it yet??

Kathy said...

Haven't eaten the rabbit yet...at least to my knowledge!! I think I've eaten pigeon, and maybe rat. But I don't like to always ask what I'm eating. Ignorance is bliss... I know they eat rabbit, rat, pigeon and crickets around here. Also they eat camel up north. At least that's what I've been told. Mostly I get lamb, beef, chicken and fish -- if I get any meat at all!

Thanks for your comments guys and thanks for reading! I love you and miss you all!

Kathy