Saturday, December 16, 2006

Time is Flying!

Well, I am almost done with my first three months of service! I can hardly believe it -- time is flying by. Before I know it, I'll be back in the States wondering if this was all a dream! I have gotten into a routine of working from 9 to 1, and either eating lunch with Mme. Coumaré at the CRPA or with Yuri at a rice and sauce joint. (The "tigadigena" is delicious -- it's a peanut sauce that they put on white rice. A ka di, kosobé kosobé!). The rest of the day is spent cleaning, cooking, washing laundry by hand, or drinking tea and hanging out with Malians and other volunteers in the area.
(my service, the CRPA -- le centre régional de la promotion de l'artisanat)

(my desk -- I actually share it with everyone else, so it's not really MY desk)

(the son of Amadou -- the man who lives where the CRPA office is. The office is located in his family's concession.)

I have rapidly been improving my French skills. My French lessons with my tutor have transformed from real lessons in verb tenses and what not to 1-hour conversations about various subjects. He corrects me when I mess up and helps me figure out how to say what I want to say, but at least I'm having semi-intellectual conversations! We're learning about each other's cultures quite a bit this way, which is an added benefit.

Well, I only have three minutes left before I get kicked off the internet, but I'll definitely put up another blog soon -- probably about Christmas. My language tutor actually just gave me a French Bible. Très gentil!!! J'étais très contente. (I was very happy).

I'll leave with a couple more random pics:

(women outside of Yuri's house selling fried plantains and hanging out)

(Praying mantis that keeps sneaking into my house and chilling on my couch)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

y, the praying mantis (or should I say preying mantis) is freaky. But I love your photos. It was great talking with you yesterday when I was at Dad's. Take care, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I'll have a Wendy's Frosty, fries and a visit to Fairwood Firs in your honor.

Love, Cindy

Anonymous said...

Kathy -
Merry Christmas! Can't wait to hear all about those festivities. Sounds like you are having a blast. I think I would not like the preying mantis - icky. God Bless.

Mama Ruth

Anonymous said...

Oogie! I dont think i could sleep in the same house as a praying mantis! it's pretty cool though! Miss you kat!

Love ya! -Andi