Sunday, May 13, 2007

It's Wedding Season...

On May 13th I took a bachée down to Banankoro, my old homestay village (bachée = another fun form of Malian public transportation -- picture a big, green van with wooden benches lining the back instead of normal seats...now picture cramming 24 people onto those benches. Literally, 24 -- I counted. Well, there actually were 25 of us if you include the chicken sitting on one of the guy's laps. I would've taken a picture if I could have moved my arms enough to get my camera out). My oldest brother, Sadio Samaké, was getting married. He called me a few weeks ago to tell me the good news, and I promised him I'd be there for the wedding.

(Me with the bride and groom)

I got to Banankoro around 10 am, and after greeting my old family, they led me to the school where Sadio and his bride-to-be, Wulematu, were signing the official papers. I couldn't see anything, and there were griots (Malians who sing and dance and tell stories of family histories) singing the whole time in Bambara.

(Sadio and Wulematu driving away from the school)
After the official stuff, we all headed back to our house for the party. There was a DJ and music blasting out of giant speakers. The younger people were dancing, and the older people were sitting around talking or preparing lunch. I have never seen so much rice at one time! They fed about 200 people lunch, and they were cooking out of GIANT pots, stirring the rice with two-foot ladels! Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture.

(Wulematu -- my host mom -- and Suri, her grandson)

It was really fun. I love my homestay family, so it was awesome to see them all again. I couldn't believe how much they've all grown! Aminata (my 13-year-old sister) is practically a woman now. Salimata (my 3-year-old sis) is now old enough to help out the family and carry babies on her back -- although I still carried her almost everywhere and she sat on my lap the whole time.

(Salimata with a baby half her size on her back)

And Suri (the baby who always was terrified of me) is a toddler now! It made me realize just how long I've been in country. Time has been moving so fast; I can't believe I've been out of America for almost a year!

(Suri)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please offer the beautiful bride and groom my heartfelt congratulations. Also, I want to adopt Salimata, the adorable baby on her back, and Suri! Those are three of the most adorable children I've ever seen.

You've been gone nearly a year now - that's incredible. You look wonderful!

Love, Cindy