Friday, July 20, 2007

How Africa's Changed Me

Hi all! Well, I'm still working away over here. Thanks to all who replied to my e-mail about the women's tailoring school project -- I got the proposal completed and submitted it to our headquarters. I'll let you all know as soon as the project is up on the Peace Corps' Web site.
Well, I don't have much to write, but I thought I'd give you a glimpse of how being in Africa has changed me. And I'm not talking about epiphanies or revelations, but more unexpected changes and experiences that have occurred.
1) I now eat potatoes. LOTS and LOTS of 'em. I never thought I'd see the day that I'd wake up and say, "man, I could really go for some potatoes." (Although I still can't do mashed potatoes...I tried at Thanksgiving and it wasn't happening.)
2) Continuing with the food category, I also eat alfredo sauce. I admit I've tried fish heads, tongue and intestines, but I have not enjoyed those experiences!
3) Being proposed to by Malians is a daily occurence over here. However, the other day I received a marriage proposal.....from the wife! She asked me to become her husband's second wife. (She's one of the women I teach English to twice per week -- I've never even met her husband.)
4) I now consider plastic flip flops the perfect athletic shoe. I wear them hiking, biking...everywhere. I haven't worn close-toed shoes in over a year (save WAIST).
5) I am embarrassed to admit that I have become addicted to Desperate Housewives. I never even had the desire to watch five minutes of that show back in the States, but now I've seen every episode of the first two seasons. We're so addicted to it that my friend Danielle is getting Season 3 mailed over.
Well, I'm sure there are many more things I could add to the list, but as of now I'm out of ideas and time. I'll add to the list another time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Got a hankerin' for some potatoes, eh? Now I know what to serve you when you return!

By the way - CONGRATULATIONS on your first year out of the way! We miss and love you.

Don't go off and marry somebody there, no matter how tempting the "second wife" proposal may sound - we want you home soon!

Love, Cindy