Wednesday, February 06, 2008

On the home stretch

Hello! Wow have I been busy lately! This is just a quick update on my life...nothing too exciting, and unfortunatly no pictures to accompany it. Well, IST (in-service training) finally ended a couple weeks ago, and I went back to Segou. I spent two days working hard with Ndomo, a men's bogolan association, trying to create a buyer's kit for the Torono/Montreal trade shows they're participating in. Then, all the new SEDdies (business development volunteers) came to Segou for a "technical exchange." Yuri and I took them around to all our associations and tourism sites, and they all crashed at my house (I think there were 15 of them). I spent about a week trying to get resettled and back into a routine before 30+ people showed up to stay at my house this past weekend. It was the fourth annual Festival sur le Niger -- Segou's music festival. I didn't buy a ticket this year, but I did go around during the daytime and see the festivities. Overall, I think it was much better organized than last year's (especially the artisans' fair). And I was happy to host everyone -- it was nice to actually have the space to hold all those people. Last year it was a tight squeeze in my small house (I had two other girls sleeping in my bed alone last year). Everyone finally left Monday, and then yesterday I came down with ANOTHER fever! Grrrrr... It's my second fever in a month, and I think my 20th I've had since moving over here. Not fun. But, luckily it only lasted one day, so I was able to bike to work today (oh, and it's been over 105 degrees here the past few days -- cold season is officially over). Between all this, I've been working to submit a proposal for a leadership training my director wants to have this April (between us business volunteers and our counterpart agencies), and I've been doing other project stuff. I've also been co-organizing this year's WAIST trip (the softball tournament in Dakar, Senegal). That's been stressful...it's hard to organize transport and lodging for 50+ people in West Africa! And we leave in ONE WEEK! Crazy. Well, that's about it. Oh, and I just found out that our Close of Service conference is in June...which means I'm most likely out of here in July. I know I always say this, but time sure does fly. I can't believe I'm 3/4 done with my service! ooh, one more quick story: So I've been sick the past couple days, but I finally felt good enough to eat lunch today (about the first thing I've eaten since Monday evening). I still was feeling weak, and my friend Mary was in town, so she offered to pick me up a Greek sandwich at a restaurant and bring it over. I gobbled it up -- steak, lettuce, tomatoes, onions on French bread. It gave me enough strength to bike to work. So I get to work, get online, and find out that today is Ash Wednesday! D'oh!!

4 comments:

The Shark said...

Kathy D! I'm sorry to hear that you've been getting sick! Stay healthy, darnit!!!

I'll be keepin' ya in my prayers!! Here's hoping the rest of your time there is smoother sailing!

Anonymous said...

Kathy - happy Ash Wednesday to you! I'm super hungry right now and was salivating at the description of the Greek sandwich....mmmmmm....steak.

Another package was sent off to you today - it has another cake pakckage for your birthday. Hopefully it'll reach you in time to use it!

Anonymous said...

Oops...it helps when I sign my name instead of leaving it as anonymous!

Love, Cindy

jinushaun said...

Hey Kathy, this is a great blog and you're doing great work in Mali. It's something to be very proud of. Your blog has really inspired me to do more with my life.

I'm sorry to hear you've been sick. Get better soon and stay safe.

Cheers.