Friday, December 21, 2007

Life Updates

Wow! What a crazy couple months it's been. I'm sorry that I haven't updated my blog recently...I've been incredibly busy. Never thought I'd say that during Peace Corps, but it's true. In the past month, I've celebrated Thanksgiving and Tabaski, I've moved houses (across town...my new house is on the banks of the Niger river -- pretty sweet! I'll post pics once I can transfer my photos off my camera and make room for more), and I've FINISHED -- that's right, finished -- my applications for grad school!
It's quite a relief to be done with the process. Between traveling to Ghana to take the GMAT and calling my parents in Seattle to help me with getting transcripts, It's been a long and tedious process. But it went much smoother than I expected, so I'm grateful that it all came together with plenty of time left before the deadlines. And now I can relax for Christmas and New Years! Well, here's a photo recap of my past month:
(Thanksgiving at Steffen's house. It was pretty small this year, because it was right before Danielle was leaving to go back to Florida -- just Dana, Arnim, Steffen, Yuri, Danielle and me)
(Yuri, Danielle and Steffen on Danielle's last night in Segou. We went out to the Segou Night Club. I miss her already! I won't see her until her and Steffen's wedding next December.) (Steffen's dad came to visit from Germany, so we all went to Kalabougou, the potter village down river from Segou. As we were coming there, we passed some of the villagers taking their finished pots to Segou to sell at market.)
(The kids in Kalabougou LOVED Steffen. He's probably the strongest Toubab they've ever seen. After he lifted up every kid, he lifted ME off the ground in the same way. The kids were astounded!)
(Yesterday was the Feast of Tabaski -- the holiday where everyone sacrifices and then eats tons of sheep. Mme. Koumare and I were eating at her house...we'd just finished our second round of lamb and were washing all the meat down with some watermelon. Somehow, we both managed to coordinate our outfits without knowing beforehand. I think we're spending too much time together!)
Well, that's about it for now. I want to wish everyone a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and a Happy New Year. I can't believe I'll be celebrating Christmas next year back in Seattle. How exciting!

2 comments:

di said...

We miss you too. Can't wait to see pic's of your new digs, it must be beautiful to be on the river. Hopefully the bugs aren't too bad! Love you lots! Di

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas to you, too! Congratulations on finishing up all your applications! I won't be finishing mine this year - maybe next year instead. I like your pink dress - you are "Pretty in Pink" -har har!
I miss you lots!

Love,
Maria