Friday, March 28, 2008

Djenne and Girls Education

Happy belated Easter to everyone!
I've had a crazy week...I spent Easter Sunday at church in the morning, then I hopped on a bus and went up to San. I met up with Yuri and Mary Virginia and caught transport to Djenne early Monday morning. Djenne is an old city here in Mali (dating back to the times of the original Bambara kingdom), and is home to the largest mud structure in the world -- the Grande Mosquee (big mosque).
(the mosque)
(me, Yuri and Mary Virg)
It's also a cool city -- very different from other cities here in Mali. Djenne has narrow streets that curve and wind around the city, and the buildings are taller than most (it actually reminds me more of urban America than Segou or Bamako, because it seems like apartment buildings with roofs that people hang clothes on and such).
(the roofs of Djenne -- notice the satellite)
We only spent a few hours there, because it's a big tourist town and we weren't in the mood to be followed and hasselled all day long. It also was market day there, so it was extra crowded and busy. But I'm glad I finally ventured out there and saw the famous city (probably the second most famous city here, next to Timbuktu).
(a loaded bachee at market)
(the market next to the mosque)
After Djenne, Mary Virginia and I hopped on a bachee and went to Christy's village, Kamona (where I spent Christmas this past year). Christy was putting on a day retreat for girls in her village. They did presentations on condoms, birth control and women's education, and had the girls make soap.
(during the training)
The guest speaker was my homologue, Madame Koumare. She was a rock star! I had no idea she was so passionate about girls education, but she basically took the wheel throughout the day and inspired all the girls. And the girls listened to her much more intently than to us. It was great to see them so interested in these topics.
(Mme. Koumare talking about the importance of girls education)
We also painted maps of Africa on the walls of two classrooms in their schools (they have a primary school and secondary school). It was tedious, but fun. It was a great experience to help Christy make her project a reality, and Mme. Koumare had a blast in her village.
(Louie and Christy painting the first map)
(Christy, Mary Virg, me, Mme. Koumare and Madiaratu Koumare (another guest speaker) in front of the banner. The banner says: Women in school: education opens the mind)
I just got back from that yesterday, and now I'm back in chaosland trying to figure out which grad school to go to, whether I should go visit them before I decide, and how I'm going to finish all my own projects in the next four months!

1 comment:

The Shark said...

That Mosque is crazy! And that town looks awesome, with all the mud structures.

The mosque reminds me of my mission in Dallas. One of my companions that I was assigned to for 3 months was a kid from Finland who had also spent quite a bit of time living in Bolivia. There was a mosque we had to ride our bikes past on a regular basis, and the first time we passed it he stopped me and asked (in Spanish), "Elder, why does that building have a giant onion on top?" It's an even funnier question if you can picture his nasal little voice cranking that out in Spanish (he didn't speak English). I had to give myself a minute to laugh before I could tell him what the building was.

Good times.